34-year-old Summit County resident dies of COVID-19
A 34-year-old Summit County man died Nov. 16 of pneumonia from COVID-19, according to a press release from the Summit County Public Health Department. The man had not been vaccinated and had no underlying health problems, the press release said. He is the youngest resident to die from the virus.
Prior to the man’s death, six residents in Summit County have died from the virus since the start of the pandemic, including:
- An 89-year-old man who died on April 25, 2020 of respiratory failure due to COVID-19
- A 71-year-old woman who died of respiratory failure due to COVID-19 on November 18, 2020
- A 47-year-old man who died of respiratory failure due to COVID-19 on December 7, 2020
- A 50-year-old unvaccinated man who died of respiratory failure due to COVID-19 on May 4.
- A 70-year-old unvaccinated woman who died on September 21
- A 72-year-old vaccinated man who died on October 10
No specific cause of death was given for the September 21 and October 10 deaths, which occurred at St. Anthony Summit Hospital. Of the deaths from the virus since the vaccine became widely available, three people were not vaccinated and one was.
Since the start of the pandemic, Summit County has also had a total of five deaths among people who had the virus but died from other causes. These deaths are counted as deaths among the cases of the virus to align with the state’s tracking of death records. The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment records the deaths of people who died from COVID-19 and those who died who had the virus.
All deaths are reviewed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to confirm they fit the definition of deaths among COVID-19 cases.
As a reader of Summit Daily News, you make our work possible.
Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to helping us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and its impact on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter how big, will make a difference.
Your donation will be used solely to support quality, local journalism.