Carlos Alcaraz says he tested positive for COVID-19 as Spain drops teen star from Davis Cup squad

MADRID — Carlos Alcarazo, the teenager touted as Rafael NadalThe heir and the biggest name in the Spanish team at the Davis Cup Finals tested positive for the corona virus and was removed from the roster on Thursday.

Alcaraz, 18, who would make his first Davis Cup appearance, said on social media that he was sorry to miss “such an important and special tournament as the Davis Cup”.

“I was very excited to be able to play and represent my country here in Madrid for our fans,” he said. “But sometimes things don’t go the way we want them to go and you have to overcome that. It’s a very hard blow, but you have to pick yourself up and come out stronger.”

Alcaraz was expected to play in the Group A meeting with Ecuador on Friday.

The International Tennis Federation previously said a member of the Spanish team had tested positive for the coronavirus and was placed in isolation, but did not name the player. The rest of the Spanish team members did a new PCR test.

The 32nd ranked Alcaraz, who took a title at the Next Gen ATP Finals, will be replaced by the number 60 Pedro Martínez.

The other members of the Spanish squad are Pablo Carreno Busta, Alberto Ramos-Vinolas, Feliciano Lopez and Marcel Granollers. The team captain is Sergi Bruguera.

Spain was already without Nadal due to an injury and lost No. 19 Roberto Bautista Agu earlier this week due to an abdominal injury.

Spain is defending champions at the Davis Cup Finals played in Madrid, Innsbruck and Turin. The first day of competition was Thursday in all three cities.

Due to the corona pandemic, the matches in Austria are played without fans. The capacity is 60% in Turin and 75% in Madrid.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *