Health experts explain the importance of getting tested for COVID-19 - Market News
Home » Health experts explain the importance of getting tested for COVID-19
Covid-19

Health experts explain the importance of getting tested for COVID-19

Health experts explain the importance of getting tested for COVID-19

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) — With the Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory at Wichita State University closed, you may be looking for a home test to find out if you’re positive for COVID-19. However, if you’re already feeling symptoms, should you even get a test?

The short answer is yes.

“I think you should get tested if you test positive, even on the home test it’s pretty accurate,” said Dr. Garold Minns, Sedgwick County health officer.

Minns says testing is one way to know for sure if you’re positive for COVID-19 and should be quarantined.

However, he recommends doing a personal PRC test as it is more accurate.

“It can take longer to come back, it takes at least 24 hours to get in, but in that sense it’s more accurate than the home test”

A CDC study shows that some rapid home antigen tests have an accuracy of 85%. This means that they catch about 85% of the people infected with the virus and miss the other 15%. While PCR tests correctly diagnose COVID-19 in 97.2% of cases.

dr. Gerold Minns says that while testing is getting harder to come by, you still need to find a way to get it done.

“If you have symptoms and a home test is negative, it may be incorrect. If you have symptoms and you feel sick and the test comes back negative, that’s not quite correct,” he said.

dr. Minns said the health department is working to open another clinic in the area that will conduct PCR testing.

Copyright 2022 KWCH. All rights reserved.

About the author

Anna Wintour

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment