Key learning points
- The number of cases continues to grow in the Commonwealth and is now at historic heights. Early signs suggest this growth may be slowing, but all 35 health districts are still on the rise.
- Models predict a continued strong rise in cases peaking around January 23. The number of cases can drop just as much after the peak.
- Omicron is less severe than Delta, but this wave will lead to a large increase in hospitalizations, which could reach record levels in the coming weeks.
- Vaccines and boosters remain highly effective in protecting against hospitalization and death from the Omicron variant.
- The CDC Estimates that the Omicron variant now accounts for about 98% of new cases in the mid-Atlantic.
- This is an interim weekly report. The models were last driven on January 5 and will be driven again on January 19. The next modeling update will be released on January 21.
This page is updated weekly on Fridays at 1:00 PM.