Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi called on the US to take responsibility for withdrawing from the Iran nuclear deal, as Beijing wants to play a greater role in the ongoing negotiations.
Wang Yi told Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian that the US must take “primary responsibility” and “correct its mistake” to withdraw from the nuclear deal as soon as possible, according to a statement from China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Foreign Affairs, in which it reiterates China’s position that the US should act first to revive the 2015 agreement.
“China is firmly against illegal unilateral sanctions against Iran, is against the use of human rights and other issues as an excuse for political manipulation, and is against gross interference in the internal affairs of Iran and other regional countries,” Wang said at a meeting in the Chinese province of Jiangsu. on Friday.
Amirabdollahian thanked China for its “constructive role” in the ongoing nuclear negotiations and said Iran is ready to “jointly stand against bullying and unilateral sanctions” and become a “trustworthy, long-term cooperation partner,” the statement said.
China is trying to raise its profile in the oil-rich region, with Wang Yi hosting a number of foreign ministers from the Gulf Cooperation Council last week. China and Iran on Friday officially launched the implementation phase of a 25-year bilateral agreement intended to enable billions of dollars in investment in the Persian Gulf country.
According to the statement, the two sides also exchanged views on the situation in the Middle East and Afghanistan. China suggested setting up a dialogue platform in the Gulf to discuss regional security issues.
Amirabdollahian said developing relations with China is Iran’s “supreme policy decision” and Iran looks forward to learning from China’s development experience and advanced technology, according to the Chinese statement. He added that Iran will attend the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Beijing in February. –Bloomberg