When it comes to presenting a vaccination certificate, you can show your vaccination card in person, but showing digital proof is a common alternative.
Apple and Android, along with the state of Illinois, are all trying to make the process as easy as possible.
Here’s how to add your information, broken down into the different digital options:
- You must have a QR code or a downloadable file of your vaccination to get started. Your iPhone also needs to be updated with to iOS 15.1 software.
- If you have a QR code, open the camera app and hold it over the code. When a notification from the Health app appears, tap and select ‘Add to Wallet & Health’
- Using a downloadable file, pull it onto your phone and tap the download link. Then select “Add to Wallet & Health”
- Visit your health insurer’s website, app, e-mail or text message.
- Find your COVID-19 vaccination or testing information.
- Find and tap “Save to Phone.” If you’re asked whether you want to save with Chrome or Google Pay, choose Google Pay, even if you don’t have the app.
- Tap ‘Continue’.
- To add your COVID card to your device, read through the consent information and tap “I Agree.” You will be asked if you want to add an icon to your home screen.
According to Google’s website, it is recommended that you create a shortcut so that you can find your COVID map more easily.
Residents who register through the Illinois Department of Public Health’s “Vax Verify” vaccination portal have the option to use a “SMART Health Card”.
The card, which has also been introduced in several other states, is a digital version of a person’s COVID vaccination history and allows users to download a QR code to confirm their status.
Participants have the option to print the QR code, download it to their phone or save it in the Apple Wallet or on an app via the Google Play Store.
Illinois residents can register through the “Vax Verify” portal here.
You can also opt for a private app, such as Clear Health Pass or VaxYes. The easiest alternative may be to keep a photo of your vaccination card on your phone.